Flicker measurements for newer lighting techniques
Stefano Lodetti’s research focused on the improvement of algorithms devoted to the measurement of supra-harmonics as well as on the quantification of effect of RVCs (Rapid Voltage Changes) on flicker severity.
In this sense, his main contribution on the scope of MEAN4SG is the extension of available tools (flicker and supra-harmonics) applicable to Power Quality measurements on Smart Grids.
The research carried out by the ESR01 included two novel aspects that nowadays are becoming more and more important and they affect directly to the existent Power Quality of the electrical network: a) the proliferation of high frequency contents in the grid (supra-harmonics) and b) the correlation of rapid voltage changes (RVC) to flicker severity.
During the work, the researcher not only used simulated signals, but also real ones captured on industries. This reinforced the validation process of the developed algorithms, especially those oriented to be included in future power quality analyzers.
University of the Basque Country (UPV), Spain. (10.2017 – 01.2018)
TU Dresden (UTD), Germany (01.2019 – 04.2019)
The main contributions of the ESR01 research activity regarding RCV-flicker subject, have been the following:
- Establishment of the cause-effect relationship between RVCs and flicker severity
- Adaptation of one flickermeter (lamp-based) supplied with a controlled power supply. This allowed to input recorded voltage signals containing RVCs
- RVC-flicker assessment of several lamps with different technologies to test several RVCs patterns
- 3 papers delivered (1 journal, 2 conferences)
And regarding supra-harmonic work:
- Upgrading of the existing algorithm developed by the thesis supervisors 4 years ago to be able to measure supra-harmonics. The method met IEC 61000-4-7 standard requirements.
- Comparison with Fourier-based methods
- 3 papers delivered (1 journal, 2 conferences) + 1 paper submitted to IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement (revision)
New power quality issues related to Smart Grids
- “Flicker of Modern Lighting Technologies Due to Rapid Voltage Changes”. Stefano Lodetti, Izaskun Azcarate, José Gutiérrez, Luis Leturiondo, Koldo Redondo, Purificación Sáiz, Julio Melero, Jorge Bruna (Energies) [Repository Link: http://hdl.handle.net/10810/32892]
- “A Robust Measurement Method for Supraharmonics Under Power Frequency Deviations”. Stefano Lodetti, Victor Khokhlov, Jan Meyer, Jorge Bruna, Julio J. Melero (2019 IEEE 10th International Workshop on Applied Measurements for Power Systems (AMPS)) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3865161]
- “Characterization of the Emission of an Electric Bus Inductive Charging in the 2 kHz to 150 kHz Range”. Stefano Lodetti, Jorge Bruna, Joe Francisco Sanz, Julio J. Melero (2019 AEIT International Conference of Electrical and Electronic Technologies for Automotive (AEIT AUTOMOTIVE)) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3865169]
- “Methods for the Evaluation of New Power Quality Parameters: a Review of Rapid Voltage Changes and Supraharmonics,”. Lodetti, S., Bruna J., and Melero J. J., (25th International Conference on Electricity Distribution (CIRED),) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3865176]
- “Sensitivity of modern lighting technologies to rapid voltage changes”. Stefano Lodetti, Izaskun Azcarate, Jose Julio Gutierrez, Koldo Redondo, Purification Saiz, Julio J. Melero, Jorge Bruna (2018 18th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power (ICHQP)) [Repository Link: http://zaguan.unizar.es/record/75493?ln=en]
- “Wavelet Packet Decomposition for IEC Compliant Assessment of Harmonics under Stationary and Fluctuating Conditions”. Stefano Lodetti, Jorge Bruna, Julio J. Melero, José F. Sanz (Energies) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3862414]
- “A Robust Wavelet-based Hybrid Method for the Simultaneous Measurement of Harmonic and Supraharmonic Distortion”. Stefano Lodetti, Jorge Bruna, Julio J. Melero, Victor Khokhlov, Jan Meyer (IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3865145]
Higher Research Scientist at the heart of The National Physical Laboratory (NPL), The UK