Development of an integrated model of electric system
Nayeem contributed to the development of a methodology and a simulation and optimization tool for modelling the whole electric system following a holistic approach. Model development aims at overcoming the currently available modelling tools, lacking simulation capabilities that take into account local markets at distribution level and the potential behaviour of new actors like active storage systems, loads, distributed generation and aggregators.
The current framework in energy market and electric network are fostering alteration from centralized to decentralized production. For this reason, it will require a unique adaptation of the electric network, especially the distribution network. This adaptation indicates the shift of a passive distribution network to an active network. The planning for investment decisions follow-on in the evolution of the distribution grid are multi-layered, long-lasting, and have a substantial influence on the end-user experience. However, these investments are challenging due to inherent uncertainties in the future evolution of load, generation, and technology. The necessity for the distribution grid to become active from a passive network mainly compelled by the integration of weather-dependent distributed energy resources (DER).
For the system operator to plan for a cost-effective and intelligent network, it is essential to include optimization and innovative solution into consideration. New innovative solutions such as energy storage could play a vital role in avoiding expensive investment decisions.
University of Cagliari (04.2017 – 11.2017)
Fundacion CIRCE (10.2019 – 12.2019)
The main contribution of the ESR04 research activity have been the following:
- Answer to the Development of an optimization tool for energy storage planning by adopting optimization theory, dynamics of energy storage and load flow analysis. Results: The tool efficiently decide the optimal location of energy storage device in the electric network.
- 6 papers delivered
Optimal siting and sizing of energy storage devices considering energy generation and consumption uncertainties
- “A joint Multi Criteria – Cost Benefit Analysis for project selection on smart grids”. Matteo Troncia, Nayeem Chowdhury, Fabrizio Pilo, Iva Maria Gianinoni (2018 AEIT International Annual Conference) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3889668]
- “Energy Storage Placement in the Transmission Network: A Robust Optimization Approach”. Nayeem Chowdhury, Giuditta Pisano, Fabrizio Pilo (2019 AEIT International Annual Conference (AEIT)) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3889666]
- “Multi-Criteria Analysis for decision making applied to active distribution network planning”. Gianni Celli, Nayeem Chowdhury, Fabrizio Pilo, Gian Giuseppe Soma, Matteo Troncia, Iva Maria Gianinoni (Electric Power Systems Research) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3888743]
- “Optimal Energy Storage System Positioning and Sizing with Robust Optimization”. Nayeem Chowdhury, Fabrizio Pilo, Giuditta Pisano (Energies) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3890270]
- “Optimal location of energy storage systems with robust optimization.”. Chowdhury, N., Troncia, M., Pilo, F., Pisano, G. (CIRED) [Repository Link: https://zenodo.org/record/3890278]
Innovation Engineer at EirGrid (Ireland)
Nayeem Ur Rahman Chowdhury
Master of Science in Energy Engineering and Management
Dr. Ing. Giacomo Petretto